I finally received my new stepper controllers from Pololu. I put one together and slapped it in the extruder slot on the Sanguinololu and it promptly burned out. That makes 4 controllers that have burned out, all when installed as the extruder controller. Since I had it working once with the original controllers I moved one of them to the extruder and replaced it with the remaining new one. Success! I finally have all 3 axis as well as the extruder working properly. I don't have any more spare Stepsticks so I am going to order a couple more since I still don't know why they have been burning out.
I still have a couple of small issues to deal with. One of my endstops has burned out during all the messing around with the boards. I have spares but I also have to make up some new cables since the new board sits in a different spot on the machine and the old ones aren't long enough to reach it. I have also sprayed lithium grease into another of the endstops by accident so it registers as closed all the time. I think a Q-tip and some rubbing alchohol should sort it out.
I also have a more serious and confusing issue to resolve. I tried to load an STL file into Pronterface but I got an error. It apparently couldn't find one of the Skeinforge modules. I know that a new version of pronterface has come out since I loaded mine so I will try updating the whole thing and see if that makes any difference. My installation of pronterface has been working fine for controlling the Mendel so I don't know exactly why there is an issue with the STL files but I am much more comfortable with software than hardware so I am sure that I can resolve it.
I have also been collecting all the bits and bobs needed to complete my DIYLILCNC router. I had the laser cut pieces made up in September and bought the electronics at the same time. Over the last couple of weeks I have purchased the bearings, belts, gears, motor shaft couplers, Acme rod, nuts and flanges and all the nuts/bolts/washers for assembly. I still have to pick up the steel rod, square aluminum tubing and threaded rod but I can source them locally. I also need to buy the correct Dremel tool to fit the carriage design. Basically, I am ready to begin assembly. The first step will be to prime and paint all of the MDF laser cut parts
One final bit of news. I finally bit the bullet and bought a power supply on Ebay. It is 30V, 5A so it should be good for anything that I am likely to want to do with it in the near future. It should be here next week
USA Brand Precision Lab GQ-A305D Variable 30V 5A DC Power Supply s/CV & CC mode