I did manage to find time to add a washer to all of my idler bearings for the belts. This provides just enough extra space so the belts move smoothly. The X and Y carriages both move smoothly now.
I have also roughed out the mounting board for my electronics. I will cut it and drill the holes tomorrow. I am planning on using the printed mountings for the original laser cut mounting boards to mount it so it should be a nice clean job.
A couple of other small jobs that I will get done in the next day or so:
- make a new set of opto flags. The pop can aluminum I used for the original ones is just too light. They flex in a strong breeze.
- make a mounting bracket for the 12v power connector. just need to bend and drill a piece of aluminum
- make some sort of mount for the USB board. No mounting holes in it so I'm not sure what I will do there.
My new Z-axis belt has been shipped and should be here within the week. Things are looking good!